Today, I have for you a unique twist on a sushi roll – a clean eating sushi salad! Recipes like this help you mix up your daily foods and pop you out of a rut! Feel free to modify this to your tastes and to fit within your macros. I think you are going to love it! I found this recipe at http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/classics-made-clean/sushi-salad/ They have some great recipes there! Check it out and start experimenting.
This salad unrolls all of the quintessential flavors of your favorite sushi platter. Crisp strips of nori soften with chewy brown rice, crunchy vegetables and plump pieces of crab. Silky avocado and a peppy wasabi vinaigrette top the deconstructed California roll on a bed of baby spinach.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
• 1 cup short-grain brown rice (Feel free to cut back on rice and increase spinach to lower the carbs in this recipe!)
• 1 tbsp wasabi paste
• 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
• 2/3 cup rice wine vinegar
• 1/2 tsp raw honey (I suggest omitting this!!!!)
• 1 English cucumber, diced into 1/4-inch chunks
• 4 nori sheets, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch strips
• 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
• 8 oz crab meat pieces (claw or jumbo lump)
• 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
• 4 cups baby spinach
• In a medium saucepot, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for an additional 10 minutes. Spread rice on a baking sheet to cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
• In a small bowl, whisk wasabi, soy sauce, vinegar and honey. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, mix rice, cucumber, nori and carrot. Drizzle with wasabi-honey mixture and stir to combine. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in crab.
• Divide spinach evenly among serving bowls or plates and top each with rice-crab mixture and avocado.
Nutrients per serving (1 cup spinach, 1 1/2 heaping cups rice-crab mixture, 1/4 avocado):
Total Fat: 10 g
Carbs: 54 g, Fiber: 9 g
Protein: 18 g