“Don’t just look healthy, BE healthy”
During dinner with my husband yesterday, we started talking about DIETING.
Ughhh…DIET…. there is a reason it is a 4 letter word.
The whole thought, even just the idea of being on a diet starts to make me breath a little faster and feel boxed in….the way some people might feel about the word ‘budget’.
Visions of PLAIN DRY CHICKEN and mushy unseasoned asparagus dance through my head. I mean, for real, how many Instagram posts have you seen this week with the latest IG fitness ‘star’ snapping photos of her perfect ‘bodybuilder’ meal along with that infamous booty shot sure to sky rocket her followers? You know, that tinie, tiny meal with no seasoning, super dry and well…YUCK? Yep that one!
This kind of craziness drives – me – crazy! I am here to tell you, it does not have to be that way! Yes, of course, if you want to look healthy, you have to actually eat healthy foods, but that doesn’t mean you should have to choke down tasteless meals for the rest of your life!
Confession time…I am no cook. (GASP!) Just ask my husband BUT I do love coming up with recipes and finding new ways to mix ingredients that taste amazing but are still healthy. Here’s a meal favorite that I came up with after a little research and brainstorming. I had to go with my fav protein – chicken. Oh, but not just any chicken… this chicken is stuffed with creamy feta cheese and jam packed with baby spinach. Seasoned just right and then baked until each piece is literally perfection.
Ok, maybe that’s a little much, but this baby turned out downright amazing. After trying it out, my hubby insisted that I share it with you.
FITBODY Feta-Stuffed Chicken
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 35-40 minutes
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 pound)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat Feta cheese crumbles
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (optional)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 toothpicks
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉. Lightly spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place chicken breasts in a plastic bag or in between wax paper. Using a rolling pin or a meat mallet, pound chicken to about ¼-inch thick.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and black pepper, then reserve on a plate.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the spinach, garlic, and basil. Cook until spinach is heated through, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Feta cheese.
- Evenly distribute spinach mixture onto each chicken breast.
- Roll the breasts up and secure the ends together with 2 toothpicks. Place the chicken in the casserole dish, seam-side down.
- Heat the same saucepan over medium-low heat and add the chicken broth, lemon juice, butter, and the remaining seasonings. Cook until the butter has melted and sauce has warmed through, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you are omitting butter, then just add a touch of extra broth.
- Drizzle sauce over chicken and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 ℉.
Per Serving: (1 breast)
Calories: 208 Fat: 8g Carbohydrates: 4g Protein: 27g