Squat variations can help you maximize your workout and utilize more muscles. Learn how to do squat exercises with side leg raises in this free fitness video from Julie Lohre. Squats with Lateral Leg Raise Exercise Demonstration. In this video Julie uses a dumbell and resistance band. These are both optional equipment and the exercise can be modified to fit your equipment availability.
Squat with Lateral Leg Raise Exercise Demonstration
• Wrap both ankles with small resistance band and stand tall with your feet shoulder-width apart and pointing straight ahead, arms by your sides.
• Start to lower your body back as far as you can by pushing your hips back and bending your knees to 90°, pushing your body weight into your heels.
• Then rise back up, straightening the legs completely and lifting the right leg out to the side, squeezing the outer thigh.
• As you step the left foot back into shoulder-width apart position, squat back down again and repeat on the left side.
• Keep your chest up, back flat and look ahead.
• Avoid rounding your shoulders and back.
• Do not let your knees collapse to the inside or go over your toes.
• Raise your leg as high as you can to engage the outer thigh muscles.
You should feel your:
• Glutes, hamstrings, quads and outer thigh.